Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ramen in Rice Cooker Experiment

When I first saw Matsumoto's idea of cooking instant ramen inside a rice cooker, I wanted to try it out too. So I like to share my experiment today on how it turns out.


The video shown above is done by a popular Japanese show called Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahende!! You might have heard of them doing the famous No-Laughing Batsu (Punishment) games. They do a variety of shows like "Absolutely Tasty" where they come up with ingredients that they think will go well and receive a rating. That selected theme was rice.


I don't have the exact ramen he picked, but I prefer to pick my favorite that I'm positive it will turn out well.


I added a few scoops of rice first then fill it up with water a little more than I usually do. Next, I added both the instant noodle and seasoning mix and then finish it up with one raw egg on top of it. Now it's ready to cook.


So, after waiting for it to finish cooking, how did it turn out?


So that's how it looks. The egg stayed in the center the whole time, and the noodles expanded.


It doesn't look too bad when you stir it. Based on Matsumoto's result, the soup lacked flavor and while he was stirring, it felt elastic. So I wonder how mine turned out.


As a result, the flavor was a bit lacking so it's almost bland. Maybe if I added an extra pack of the flavoring mix, it would be sufficient. The noodles was overcooked and I don't like to eat soggy noodles either. The egg definitely compliments the rice together that saved this dish from doing even more poorly.

Despite that it didn't turn out too well, it's still edible to eat, but I probably wouldn't want to eat too much of it or I'll start to feel sick. It was worth a try, but the Gaki team's rating turned out to be true after all.

My rating: 3/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...