Tuesday, February 14, 2012

TERA CBT #1 Impression

The first beta test of the North American version of TERA has ended last weekend. The next testing period will start again two weeks from now on February 24 ~ 26th.

I came home from work on Friday afternoon with no plans this weekend but to explore the world of TERA. The server was very crowded where I had to wait almost two hours in line to enter, but it gives you a limited time exp bonus rate in return for your patience. Finally, I was able to proceed in a server called "Serpentis Isle".

As soon as I entered, it took me to a small island that's like a training ground to learn the ropes. I skipped most of the instructions and headed straight to the action. It was until later that I learned how to accept quests and find my objective where I'm suppose to go. Once you reach level 11, you gain clearance to fly to the main world where the real adventures begin.

Leveling up seems really easy as long as you constantly accept and complete quest that takes less grinding away from battles. You can earn currency, items, and experience points depending on the quest. While there are missions that helps progress the main story, there are also a handful of side quest and even repeatable ones that you can do over and over. Most of the missions I've done were to deliver an item to someone, slay a few beasts, or inspect and report back to them.

The combat system plays in real time where you have complete control of your actions. The enemies you encounter may have unique attack patterns that you can anticipate what they are going to do. You can do solo on most fights, but a helping hand really takes the stress under overwhelming monsters that catches you off guard.

I read that you can use a controllers like the Xbox 360 controller. As soon as I plugged it up, it automatically recognized and gave me a layout screen on which buttons gives out the attacks. However, it feels very restrictive and if you are using a character the involves aiming, you are better off using a mouse for quick precision. Also, the keyboard holds more variety of your attacks so the controller really limits you that freedom. It was worth a try because I've been playing with controllers since childhood, but I definitely don't recommend it.

The next beta testing will start again on February 24 ~ 26th. Because I have pre-ordered the game, my closed-beta account will carry over throughout all closed-beta periods. The second beta is stated to add a new PvP server, and both levels and character slots will be increased towards each beta testing too. I may think about using a different class since being a Sorcerer is way too easy. I'm thinking of a Lancer or Berserker to try out next.

So overall, I've gain a positive impression towards my first experience. Right now, I've already placed an order to upgrade my power supply and video card where I can play the game smoothly. So far we have formed a small group like me, Bells, Retake, and Fresca during closed-beta, and I'm certain that number will expand even more as the official release date draws near on May 1st.













11 comments:

More than likely, I'll be joining you guys once this releases. Since I pretty much decided to start saving for a new computer (for various reasons, not just delicious loli thighs hahaha.) this will be one of 4 games I actually actively play. (Not counting eroge :P)

Just got an email today saying im in the europe closed beta and currently downloading it now, i think ill play as a sorcerer but i am not sure what race to pick...

Where is the European site exactly? I've been curious about that.

I wanna say Germany since frogster is a German company but i am not really sure

Oh I found it. Somehow on google it would redirect me to the NA site. Looks like their first CBT starts this weekend too, so lucky you since I have to wait one more week for NA server. Also, *signs up on European beta haha*

OH i miss read that sorry, ya i noticed that if you go to the homepage you get redirected but if you go to another it wont *facepalm at my fail*

I'm very happy in various places for various reasons.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...