Monday, April 18, 2011

My Top 10 Favorite RPGs

Role-playing games has always been a major factor of my gaming experience since childhood. When I look back at all the titles I've played, I wasn't that surprised that most of my favorites came from old consoles. I suppose RPGs haven't evolved that much lately to make a difference like the old days when gaming was still growing. It makes me wonder if this genre will make another transcendence or not.

I will only go over the list of RPG games that I've actually played and finished it through to the end. I know these kinds of "My top favorites" list makes some people very emotional thinking I'm listing the best RPGs of all time. This is my list of RPGs that I consider a worthy title to me only. That means the majority of these games you will definitely disagree with, but attempting to provoke my list and change it to something that you consider better will serve no purpose towards my favorite list. So keep those things in mind before you make your first comment on here.


#10
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
Playstation 1
This is a very heart warming adventure with wonderful character development. Sure, the graphics are a bit outdated for this type of game and some may pass on it because of that. But, this kind of game proves that graphics doesn't judge a worthy title with a great story and presentation that brought new experiences towards RPG players.


#9
Skies of Arcadia
Dreamcast
I was thinking how awesome an RPG title would be on the Sega Dreamcast console when it was still new at the time. The music and atmosphere really kept you engaged in this fantasy world with battleships and magics alike. It truly brought new inspiration that next-gen RPGs like this title can be a worthy game to play.


#8
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Xbox 360
When you want freedom and plenty of exploration, Oblivion definitely delivered that masterpiece on the Xbox 360. My PC wasn't strong enough to run this, so I had to rely on the 360. I spent a good amount of hours exploring towns and doing guild missions that felt very rewarding.


#7
Final Fantasy II
Super Nintendo
I had to put this game up here because I remember this was the first RPG I've ever played. It was thanks to this game that I was able to appreciate the Final Fantasy series back then and how much interactive things you can do in this fascinating genre known as Role-playing games. And yes, I know the game's title is technically IV instead of II.


#6
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Nintendo
I remember when I first got this game at Toys R Us, I felt like I was the luckiest kid in my street. Combining Mario into my favorite genre was like a dream come true. They embed a powerful chip into this game that brought new visuals and colors that brought out the wow factor.


#5
Valkyria Chronicles
Playstation 3
This game delivered a surprise expectation among many gamers. It really takes those complicated strategy RPG elements and turned into something easy for all gamers to pick up and play. Though there are some deep elements to keep in mind, and hardcore RPGs players like myself will appreciate to dive further and build up a strong army to take on any challenges that awaits us.


#4
Persona 4
Playstation 2
This game took on a new approach towards RPG that involves actual real-life school kids instead of some fantasy world. So it was a game that you can actually relate to. It's packed with fun elements and rockin' music for a great experience. Persona 4 may actually be the game that appeals to both Eastern and Western audience that you normally don't see those connections very much.


#3
Final Fantasy VII
Playstation 1
I know, it's a very overrated game. But the scale of this game was like no other RPG with this much depth before. I can't tell you how many times I've replayed that Aeris death over and over. SquareEnix has been milking the Final Fantasy VII franchise for awhile already. As much as people really want this series to have a remake, I prefer to leave this title the way it is and be remembered by how much it impacted us.


#2
Chrono Trigger
Super Nintendo
This game did time-traveling the correct way. I can't tell you how much of my childhood life I've spent playing this game. Even when technology hadn't advanced yet, Chrono Trigger proved to be a successor that video games are more than just some button mashing blood machine. Chrono Trigger has shown depths of how video games can become and how much inspiration it brought to many game developers.


#1
Valkyrie Profile
Playstation 1
Surprised? Well you should be, since this game was very underrated. The Japanese reception was highly praised, but I wished the same could have been done in America. I know I've replayed this game through about close to six times already and I usually never do that. It uses Norse mythology really well and combines it with an epic tale where the plot becomes more clearer as you progress further into the game. I still consider Valkyrie Profile my favorite RPG of all time, and it's something I can still pick up and enjoy playing it again if I had the time. There's a PSP version called "Valkyrie Profile Lenneth" that it's the same thing except wider screen and more exclusive cut-scenes.

===

My other favorite RPGs that didn't make it on the list, but I still consider them worthy RPG titles:
Dark Cloud 2 (PS2), Grandia 3 (PS2), Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core (PSP), Tales of the Abyss (PS2), Breath of Fire 3 (PSX), Xenogears (PSX), Azure Dreams (PSX), Final Fantasy 3 (SNES), Legend of Legaia (PSX), Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX), Resonance of Fate (Xbox 360), Final Fantasy III (SNES), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii).

And remember, if there's a game that's not listed that you consider should be up there. Then it could either mean that I probably find it somewhat decent, or I haven't even completed the game yet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...