Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tteokbokki

Here's another Korean food that I will never grow tired of eating. This segment was going to be "Cooking with Rich" but I cannot find the pictures that I took awhile back when I was preparing it. So I'll settle with explaining what Tteokbokki is about.


Tteokbokki (떡볶이 - Tŏk-bok-kki). To explain what it is in simplest form, it's a spicy ricecake casserole. Till this day, it's still one of Korea's popular snack food and you'll even find plenty vendors selling them on the streets. When I was in Seoul, South Korea, I think I had this almost everyday while continuing to explore the city. It doesn't cost much either and each bite will satisfy your appetite. It's fascinating to eat fresh Tteokbokki from street vendors while watching them prepare more just for you.


The sauce covered on top of the rice cake casserole tastes like a mix of corn syrup and red pepper paste. As you bite into that chewy rice cake, you can feel the hot moist sensation melting inside your mouth with an extra kick of spiciness mixed together. Yeah, it's that radical on your taste buds.


As expected of this famous food, there are a variety of Tteokbokkis out there. The one I happened to have is cheese Tteokbokki. Think of it like having plain breadsticks with melted cheese on top of it, it just makes it even better!

Sadly, I wished I could find those pictures I took to show you how I made it. I guess the only option for me is to buy more of those cylinder rice cakes to make it again. Not that I mind remaking it since I haven't eaten it in a while. For those who haven't tasted Tteokbokki should definitely consider trying it when you get the chance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...