Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wiz City Review


Pangya's new 17th course Wiz City has finally arrived on Korean servers October 25th, 2011. The difficulty level is rated 2-stars for this course. Other official release dates for Thailand server will be on October 26th, Japan on October 27th, and Global on November 9th.

(This review is based from the Korean server. Details of the review may differ from other servers such as names, item rewards, and much more.)


Features

Magic Carpet

When your comet ball bounces on top of the carpet, the ball will continue to bounce until it reaches solid ground. Within the carpet's path contains both PP Coins and Spin Cube that you can collect. However, there's a chance where if it bounces too much, it'll eventually start to roll instead and come to a complete stop. The ball property will be 95% when shooting from the Magic Carpet spot.

Remember, it must bounce on the carpet first to activate the bounce effect. So if you execute a special shot like tomahawk or spike that doesn't bounce upon impact to the ground, the ball will stay on the carpet path.

Pang Coin

Pang Coins are founded along the magic carpet path and you'll find them surrounding the greens. Rather than the coins adding to your bonus pangs, you will have a small indicator telling you how many you have picked up.


PP coins on the carpet can be obtained when your comet ball touches it.


PP coins surrounding the green will be attracted to your comet ball like a magnet whenever it is nearby.

PP coins doesn't give you a fixed pang amount. Instead, the amount of pangs earned from your coins are completely random. I would like to investigate more of this later before I reach a conclusion. So far, you really don't receive that much from these coins. The coins will automatically be added after the round is over.

Spin Cube

Spin cubes are placed in the carpet path just like the coins. Unlike PP coins, cubes are rarely seen and proves difficult to collect. Collected cubes will be stored in your inventory, however you cannot open it without a Fortune Key.

Since there's no official spoiler list, here is what Korea has for the cube's prize so far. Do note this list may not list everything it offers.

● x2 Basic Training card (+10 exp)
● 2,000 Pang Pouch
● 20,000 Pang Pouch
● x1 Partial Scratch Card
● Promise Ring (+20% exp bonus)
and maybe more?

Fortune Keys

This key is used to open your spin cube collected from Wiz City. Both the cube and the key will be used up after use.


When you log-in, you will receive x2 Fortune Keys gifted to your mailbox for free. Your free gift will only last up to 10 days though.


A package will be available in the shop that costs 10 cookies (around $1.00). The package contains x10 Fortune Keys and 20,000 pangs.

Booster Gate

A familiar feature seen on Lost Seaway. Shoot the ball inside the gate to launch your ball even further.

Other Notices
● You can only hold up to 50 Spin Cubes in your inventory.
● During Par or worse, all Pang Coins and Spin Cubes will disappear on that hole.
● There's a slim chance that you may hit a jackpot with a large amount of pangs from the holes.


Music

슈퍼고마 (or supbaby) along with LeeByungHee to help with the main theme song, there are a total two songs for Wiz City. Supbaby has contributed previous songs for Pangya before such as "voyage the sky" from Lost Seaway, and "eastern valley" and "river" from Eastern Valley.


Secret Wish - [DL]
The song plays similar to the promotional trailer, but if you listen closely, it's a different arrangement.


A Day in the Wiz City - [DL]
Sounds like a tropical theme with a spice of magic on top of it.


Media


Wiz City Promotion Video (JPN ver.) - DL: WMV MP4 (KOR ver.)
A new course can't be complete without a hyped up trailer. For an old game like Pangya, I was impressed with the amount of quality they put into this trailer. The details spent on Nell playing the piano in real time gave a good impression from me.

Ntreev has a habit of showcasing their videos with hints on other features to be released soon. We see Nell using a hairstyle similar to Kooh that demonstrates the possibilities of having someone's hairstyle on a different character. Along with some new outfits that hasn't been released yet, the room where Nell plays the piano has potential that can be used for future released furniture for your room.


Here was my first playthrough on the new course. It was set to release at midnight for me, but they delayed for an extra two hours. I was very exhausted playing my first round, but I pushed myself to get this clip made.


This was broadcasted live last night on my Justin.TV channel. I've actually improved faster than I expected. There are still a few more areas I need to test and I get the feeling I will surpass this current record in a short time.


Review


When it comes down to it, this course is very similar to Lost Seaway with new added features. There are two different ways to approach this course by either taking detours with booster gates or completely ignore them and work on long chip-ins.

The theme revolves around gambling that is indicated by card suits and dices shown on the course. The course tries to encourage you to collect PP Coins and Spin Cube that are scattered around. The bright and rich scenery gives a refreshing look towards Pangya, the details spent on the buildings and mascots breathes live to this experience.

The more I play Wiz City, the more I want to try other techniques that brings me back for more. I started out understanding how the booster gates work, then later adapted to finding spots that are best suited for long chip-ins. I seem to do fine stocking up 4 strength potions and 4 silent winds for normal plays.


Wiz City may prove to be difficult at first due to the course's complex design, but that's what to expect from a two-star difficulty level. If you score below average, don't be quick to become frustrated. Take notes or remember what power to hit towards those booster gates to find that sweet spot. There are lots of holes that are positioned at a very low altitude on elevations between -30 and -40.

Pangs earned from overdrive bonuses will be excluded on this course mainly due to pang coins. Also, the treasure meter on Wiz City is extremely low, but in exchange, there are spin cubes with items inside that encourages you to collect.

After a couple of weeks, I do feel that Wiz City won't be enough to replace the overly played and most favorable courses such as Blue Lagoon and Ice Spa. Ice Spa's overdrive pangs still remains superior to Wiz City's Pang Coins by a long shot. The Pang Coins and Spin Cube is a great idea, but the rewards gaining from it may not be fulfilling as much in the long run.


This is my record I hold for Wiz City so far on 10/25/11. I even have that recorded on my JTV archives too.

Article Revision
10/27/11: The name "Random Box" is officially called "Spin Cube" + Added "Other Notice" for more additional information on Wiz City.

22 comments:

since wiz city is so different, do they include wiz city in shuffle??? xD

ive played a few games on Japan/Thailand got -30 with 7700pp seems to be really easy since i got that -30 with 2pars xD just need a bit of luck on some holes

and since you played more than me let me ask u that is just me or hole 12 is almost impossible for the ball leave the carpet i ALWAYS get stuck c-c

Do you mean shuffle bonus or special shuffle course? For both, yes.

I sometimes get stuck on that carpet path. I usually add right curve and go down the left path. Sometimes I'll get on the green, but mostly I'll go way past it into the pang bunker. That is one of the holes I'm still experimenting at the moment.

Just adding somethings, on TH, you may recieve Transparent Bongdari or Big Bongdari from the spin cubes, and the keys are free there:

http://i.imgur.com/cOKww.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Adzpm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HSgyV.jpg

On japan the key pagages are 10 cp (costs about 50% more than kr keys) and come with either 5 x2 xp items or 10k pangs or you just buy 1 key for 1 cp.

Oh yeah and according PangYa Japan website
The prizes we can get on JP Server opening those Spin Cubes are:
1.000.000 PP
2.000 PP
Promise Ring
Exp Pouch
Gacha Ticket(Silver)
and Black Papel

That negative elevation frightens me dearly. @.@

Thanks for sharing.

The exp pouch gives you 5 exp instantly when you take it out of the mail. Out of the 2 cubes Ive opened i got them twice X.x

I personally love the course, although it takes getting used to. The random boxes do give a little more incentive to play, and it's got pretty good pang potential...lack of overdrive bonus aside haha. I'll definitely be playing this one a bit more, even moreso once I order my graphics card.

You accidentally placed the A Day in Wiz City song for both music player links. You might want to change that.

Makes me curious how Global is going to handle their prize listings. There's one item that would benefit their prize greatly, but there's just no way they will do it.

How very odd that it was linked properly before, and then suddenly duplicated itself. Not a problem then, I'll just re-upload them again in case if it somehow does that again.

Please, just do not be so negative *_* I want black papel

woops lol.. the special shuffle course xD

Don't jump to conclusions either. I was referring to card removers as my mere hint for one of the cube's prize.

Card removers would be awesome but like you said i have doubts too that they would do it and I play on global lol

I would like that promise ring too.

Personally I have got many removers because I use one and only main character, so I don't see card removers as a great goal. Just that, but that with them would be more interesting indeed.

Hey Rich I watched your playthrough and I noticed you don't get any overdrive. Is this only when shooting on the magic carpet or all around the course? And is it intended?

My review stated, "Pangs earned from overdrive bonuses will be excluded on this course mainly due to pang coins".

So yes, it's intended for Wiz City on every holes.

My bad. I should've read the whole review. Thanks for replying.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...