Wednesday, June 8, 2011

E3 2011 Conference Impressions

Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo's conference has been concluded for E3 2011. I figured I could share some of my impressions on what caught my attention the most. I was actually able to watch all the conferences to gather up my thoughts of the whole thing.

It really looks like the gaming genre will evolve from a standard controller to new possibilities. I do wonder if this is heading towards the right direction with all these new changes. I haven't really engulfed much into the new peripherals yet, so I wonder when that day will come to me, or even at all. Maybe I'll end up being content using a regular controller.

But anyhow, here are my quick impressions for Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo.


Microsoft E3 2011 Press Conference
6/6/2011: 9:30 am - 11:00 am PDT

■ The press conference starts off with a demo performance of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. After the initial cut-scene, the controller disconnected before he started. The underwater gameplay looked very nice to add depth to the game.

■ I liked the demo presentation of the new Tomb Raider. I haven't researched much of the game's background, but time has moved back where Lara Croft is 21-years-old so she'll be fragile compared to the much experienced Lara we know. We'll finally get to see how Lara becomes who she is today with her first experience of survival. SquareEnix being the publisher, I can expect a very cinematic experience delivered this game.

■ The gun customize feature using Kinect has caught my attention for Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier. I like how you can test your guns out right away. All of that done with Kinect only without a controller, even firing the weapon too.

■ Nice to see Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary that brings back memories on what made the series popular in the first place. I'm sensing a trend to re-release of old classics games with remastered revisions lately.

■ Voice feature seems to be playing a major factor for Kinect games such as Mass Effect 3.

■ Majority of games they showed are Kinect compatibility. It looks unique, but I'm just not ready for Kinect just yet, considering that it won't work for me in the first place since my office is not big enough for the sensors to work properly.

■ Showing too much kids games that someone like me would not be interested in. Disney Kinect and Sesame Street: Once upon a Monster.

■ Gears of War 3 looks good, but not really into the genre so that doesn't help me.


■ New Xbox Experience 2011 Dashboard coming this fall. Another new dashboard interface, really now?

■ I wasn't surprised they saved the best part for last. Halo 4 trailer.

So both Kinect and casual gamers were focused more on their conference.


Sony E3 2011 Press Conference
6/6/2011: 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm PDT

■ Looked they are having a 15 minute delay headstart.

■ Jack Tretton first wanted to talk about their psn downtime as well as explain their sales speech.

■ Naughty Dog's demo presentation of Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception looks so realistic. The way the ship sways from the terrible storm, his movement is also affected too. Very realistic. Trailer revealed 11-1-11 release date. There's a subway offer from this game lol.


■ 24-inch 3D HDTV for $499. With split screen, it'll show full-screen for each players instead. That sounds awesome.

■ Sly Cooper Thieves in Time (Sly 4) is coming 2012. I should really finish up both Sly 2 and 3 before this title comes out.


■ Kazou Hirai finally reveals NGP = PSVita. Vita means life. Two along stick, six axis motion sensor, front and rear camera. Party room feature to chat anywhere you go.

■ Uncharted: Golden Abyss shown for the PSVita. You can climb or jump on ledges either using the main controls or touch screen. I was thinking... if I were to use the touch feature, there will be zero chance of failure compared to if I used the main controls. So obviously I would use the touch feature.

■ Street Fighter X Tekken will be coming to Playstation Vita. The demonstration seemed to be running slow on framerate. Cole from Infamous 2 will be a playable character there haha.

■ So two versions of PSVita. $249 for wifi only. $299 for wifi + 3G.

Sony seemed heavily focused on Playstation Move titles and 3D. I kind of want to get the Playstation Move stuff later on, since my friend has Kinect in his basement with plenty of room. Vita looks like a powerful system with an acceptable pricetag.


Nintendo E3 2011 Press Conference
6/7/2011: 9:00 pm - 11:00 pm PDT


■ A nice Zelda 25th anniversary trailer kicks off the conference to remember how much the series evolved.

■ The orchestra performing on stage is a nice addition. They played all sorts of Zelda related themes that brings back memories.

■ Zelda Skyward Sword will be out worldwide this holiday season for Wii. Miyamoto said the title will deliver "the most satisfying Zelda experience of any game in the series."

■ Lots of really wonderful 3DS titles has been shown and announced. Mario Kart 3DS, Star Fox 3DS, Super Mario Bros. 3DS, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Luigi's Mansion 2, and more.

■ Added elements of Mario Kart 3DS will have hang gliding and propeller-aided underwater racing. The hang gliding reminds me of Ntreev's Alicia game that you can glide from the horse's wings. Mario Kart 3DS is due out holiday 2011.


■ Here comes Nintendo's big trump card, the new Wii-U controller design. At first, I really thought it was an add-on for the Wii console, but it's not. A new system will finally enter the HD realms unlike Wii's 480p. No price and exact release date though.


■ Tekken will be on Wii U and you can do character customization to scribble on them, like Jin's face for example. lol

This conference pretty much made up my mind about getting a 3DS later on. I guess we'll see more details about Wii U for this year's Tokyo Game Show. But does "Wii U" sounds like a good name though? It'll probably take some time getting used to it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...