Monday, January 24, 2011

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn Review

Golden Sun is finally back after a seven years break from the Game Boy Advance. The time setting of Dark Dawn takes place 30 years after the GBA title where you take control of Issac's son, Matthew to be the next silent and main protagonist of Dark Dawn. There will be some familiar names that you'll come across if you played the previous Golden Sun series. You'll also team up with the descendants of the previous game's heroes as well as new Characters on your adventures.

I used to finish most RPGs I played and do side quests to experience to full enjoyment on what it has to offer. But lately, I haven't been doing that so I was thinking the same would happen to Dark Dawn. However, that wasn't the case this time, I actually played through the whole story and finished it. I also did the side quest after finishing the game to face against a monster that was stronger than the last boss and beaten it with a feeling of gratification.


The story is pretty straightforward, but during the conversation it does feel like they don't get to the point quick enough that you may end up daydreaming. Music was composed by Motoi Sakuraba that is known to make music for Tales and Star Ocean series. As usual, music turned out great that fits the theme of Golden Sun. An interesting feature for your silent protagonist is that you get a chance to do an emoticon response during a conversation in 4 different ways instead of a simple yes or no. Although it's a great idea, it still doesn't have much impact to me even though the game is suppose to make you feel like you are the main character to express your emotions.

Golden Sun always had fun puzzles in the game to use both your psynergy and wits to solve them. I do find the puzzles relatively easy, but maybe that's because I've played RPG for a long time. I would say the only problem I had was when I was at the part where I knew there was no other way to solve the puzzle. But later I realized that I was going too far ahead and that I would have to come back to it later. You might run into this if you rush too fast on what you should be doing first. I do give props on its interesting and entertaining puzzles that feels very rewarding when you solve it. It will also reward you greatly for solving other puzzles during your adventures to get powerful items in the treasure chest that you cannot buy at the store so be sure you don't miss any of them.

The battles weren't that hard to start with, but also wasn't challenging either. The difficulty will pick up about 3/4 of the way and you'll start to notice it. What made it even easier was at the last area before the final boss is the best way to grind for experience points and the enemies you face is hardly a threat. What makes it also convenient is that they drop Water of Life (phoenix down) every single time. And here I thought those were suppose to be very rare, at least it was earlier in the game so don't hesitate to use them or sell it if your low on funds.


What I really didn't like is that there are some missable djinns. Unless you have a guide with you at all time, you may end up missing several djinns along the way where you can't go back to get them if you go too far ahead. I only used the guide part of the ways because I don't like having to look back and forth as I play. I like to have it where I can go back to get it when I'm in the end of the game. I only missed 6 djinns that I can't go back to get, so I only had two Characters that I was able to use the maximum number (9) of djinns that they can hold.

The funniest part of the game to me was how Matthew may have cursed out-loud even though he is suppose to be silent. Who knows if it actually had any meaning to it or to express more anger than a simple "!!" or "!?". You be the judge.

The time it took for me to beaten the game as well as finishing all the side quests took me 31:41.

*This review was actually created around December of last year before Peperoholic opened up. I have almost forgotten to post this up and wished I did it at a earlier time. Well, better late than never.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...